About Me

My photo
Capac/Yale/Warren, michigan, United States
I am a 27 year old mother to be. This blog is meant to share my ups and downs during this, my first pregnancy. I'm super excited, and terrified. There are a lot of unknowns in my future, but baby I am so down for the ride.

Monday, June 11, 2012

NO SUGAR! BAD SUGAR!

Uggg so recently I've been dealing with some issues concerning my health during pregnancy.
I went in for my 1 hour sugar test right before Mike and I took off on our little mini vaca..
When I got home my OB's office called to tell me the results.

The cut off for a pregnant woman being in a safe zone is a reading of 130; mine was a 201.
So we skipped the 3 hr test and went straight to being diagnosed with gestational diabetes..
A couple days later I had my first appointment with the endocrinologist.

I need to mention here that I was majorly stressing out on the way to the appointment. It was one of those "WHY ME?" moments that so many of us have. Also let me note that on the way to the doctor (about an hour before being seen) I ate a half of one pop tart, and drank half of a pomegranate tea.

When I was called back to a room I was informed that my BP was up, and then attacked with a ungodly amount of questions. (another couple of things that added to my stress level that morning).
The nurse checked my sugar levels, and it was at a 178. Her reaction? "OMG, That's high!" "what did you eat?" So now I'm freaking out!! thinking I've got diabetes, my sugar is crazy, I ate the wrong things, my blood pressures up... at this point I started to get a little "hot flash" of sorts.

The nurse continued through my obvious discomfort in showing me how to give myself a shot, and explaining how the doctor might want me to do this multiple times a day... She was speeding through everything, and before I knew it I was on the verge of passing out completely..

This is where I stopped the nurse and told her "I think I'm going to pass out." she looked at me like I was crazy. "Why, are you afraid of blood.?" I told her no not normally and she just kind of ignored it at kept rambling on!! I had to stop her again and tell her, and she finally got me a cold compress, but did not stop with the info giving at all.. talk about overwhelmed!!

After I felt better I was seen by the actual doctor.. She stressed me out by letting me know the risks to the baby, and she didn't help by not giving me a food guideline to follow at all..

I filled my scripts and started my insulin the next day.. Not as bad as I though, and neither is the poking my fingers. I've been following what I thought to be a good diet, but my sugar levels are still off some days.

today I met with a nurse and a dietician at the hospital. They helped reassure me a lot, and I am now more confident that I can keep this under control.. As long as I follow my now new meal plans and keep an accurate record of my sugar readings throughout the day, my doctor should be able to adjust my insulin levels to stabilize everything.. It defiantly helped hearing someone say that it wasn't something I did wrong, or that I can control. I was sooooo stressed over all of this, and I know stress isn't good either, so I'm glad my mind is eased a little.. Plus I'm happy to report that I have managed to keep my levels in the normal ALL day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment