About Me

My photo
Capac/Yale/Warren, michigan, United States
I am a 27 year old mother to be. This blog is meant to share my ups and downs during this, my first pregnancy. I'm super excited, and terrified. There are a lot of unknowns in my future, but baby I am so down for the ride.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Healthy happy life :)

 While watching Television today I came across someone discussing how they ate 35% of their diet off of foraging, (sparked my attention) after watching I realized how healthy it was, and not only that, but how I can remember doing this with my family, and that I still would enjoy doing it today.. Also, It got me thinking about gardening, and how my sister and I were constantly bare foot in the dirt with my mom or my grandma Finn, planting veggies, and picking beans and eating right out of the garden, and we loved it!! So I'm writing this Blog as a reminder; a reminder of how I am thankful that my mother shared these things with me, and of how I want to share them with my son or daughter. :)

 Now my family stuck mostly to gardening, But we always hunted for wild Asparagus, Ate some plant from the grass that my mom always called "sweeties" and always picked fruit off of trees, and gathered nuts and things from the ground to eat. I've compiled my own list, somethings which I've tried, and some that I haven't.

Forage for food (sounds medieval right?) but I used to, and still do, do this with my parents, and I think It is very important to teach my children about the benefits of eating fresh foods, also there is something way more rewarding about eating something that you found, and picked on your own. Or even something you grew and tended from a seed. (gardening will be a must in my family) And these are habits that will stick with them (hopefully for life).. Plus I could use some getting back to healthy habits, and mike couldn't hurt from starting some!! Children learn from example.


Here's a list of easy beginner things we can Forage and prepare. (easy to identify)


Stinging nettle has a flavor similar to Spinach when cooked and is rich in vitamins A, C, iron, potassium, manganese, and calcium..Soaking nettles in water or cooking will remove the stinging chemicals from the plant, which allows them to be handled and eaten without incidence of stinging..


Lamb's quarters, (which I see everywhere) Many people mistake this fast-growing annual plant for a worthless weed, but lamb’s quarters are actually edible and quite nutritious. The seeds are a healthy snack and the leaves and stems taste similar to spinach when cooked.


Clover is easy to find in the wilderness. Its seeds are edible, and its dried flower heads can be used to brew tea. You can eat its leaves raw, just immerse them in salt water first to help with digestion. I would add the raw clover leaves into a fresh garden salad..


Resembling onions in appearance and smell, wild leeks commonly emerge during springtime deep in the forests. Both their leaves and bulbs are edible and can be eaten raw, steamed, fried or baked. I have had these before, and grown them in my flower bed back before I moved to the city.. I always called them chives, they are yummy and you can just take a pair of scissors and cut off the amount that you want to use... YUMMO


Wild asparagus, (which my family goes gathering for every year already) is wonderful!! We drive along the back roads out here in Capac when its in season, and you can find it growing in ditches, just look for the past years tall stalks, search around the bottom of them, and you'll find the new asparagus sprouting up. ( my parents also have a small patch in their yard where it grows) Great boiled with butter and salt, wonderful grilled with some olive oil and salted as well!!


Wild mushrooms! Which are so tasty, and my family had also foraged for before. I need some more training to identify them however. (we were with someone who knew mushroom species).. I will def study up before feeding any to my family :) My dad knows someone who has some wooded property where they grow, So I'll have to get a "trainer" and hit the woods..




Also there are a lot of key foods that I'd like to keep handy around my house. Until recently I had no idea that any of these foods could "Cure what ales ya" but they can indeed!! and best of all, there is no fear attached, as natural solutions carry NO side affect, like any manufactures medicine would have..

Healthy health food, go to the FARMacy and not the pharmacy!!

Natural dark chocolate, can be more effective than codeine for coughs (sore throat? Here is some chocolate! I like the sound of that)

Honey!! is an antibacterial and can be applied to skin, helps with cuts and burns, instead of triple antibiotic ointment.. (who'd a thunk it?) apparently Bees make natural antibodies that can treat even more forms of bacteria than the stuff in the tube!!

Fruits of color (purple, reds, blues)--- cherries are great for pain relief  20 cherries = 1 aspirin

Mint muddled into some warm water soothes upset stomach, and reduces pain, no more chalky Pepto :)

Non salted, raw cashews - prevents tooth decay! Snack on these every so often, it's a no brain-er way to have a healthy smile..

**One last little reminder to self: I want to remember to frequent farmers markets in the community, It's something I've always dragged mike to anyway, but it's important to support local growers, and you cannot beat the farm fresh ingredients, and homemade jams, jellies, honey, and other great goods..

No comments:

Post a Comment